In the United States, most state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted a 6-year, 3-year, or 2-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may consist of a pre-professional undergraduate degree and a professional graduate degree that, when earned sequentially, constitute an accredited professional education. However, the pre-professional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
Southern Illinois University School of Architecture offers the following NAAB-accredited degree program(s):
- Master of Architecture, 42 credits + pre-professional degree in architecture
- Master of Architecture, 70 credits + CIDA-accredited degree in interior design
- Master of Architecture, 109 credits + four-year degree in another area of study
View our most recent Program Report and the 2013 NAAB Visiting Team Report. The National Architectural Accrediting Board publishes two documents related to accreditation. You may view the PDF of each document here:
- 2009 Conditions FINAL EDITION – the conditions for accreditation.
- 2012 NAAB Procedures Final for Publication 080712 – the procedures for accreditation.
View SIU's annual reports submitted to the NAAB:
- NAAB ARS part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2017
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2016
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2015
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2014
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2013
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2012
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2011
- Southern Illinois 2011 Response
- 2010 Annual Report to NAAB FINAL + NAAB Annual Report Narrative Part II 2010
- SIUC Response to NAAB 041510
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2009
Students interested in a career in architecture may wish to visit each of these sites to learn more:
- The NCARB Handbook for Interns and Architects
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- Becoming an Architect, an NCARB site, which features SIU graduate Ben Dockter
- The American Institute of Architects
- The American Institute of Architecture Students
- The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture
The SIU School of Architecture's next accreditation visit will be in 2021.