In the United States, most state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted a 6-year, 3-year, or 2-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may consist of a pre-professional undergraduate degree and a professional graduate degree that, when earned sequentially, constitute an accredited professional education. However, the pre-professional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
NCARB Requirements and the Architects Record Exam (A.R.E.) Pass Rates:
The Master of Architecture program at Southern Illinois University Carbondale is designed as a combined undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies and Graduate professional program for architecture professionals seeking an accredited Master of Architecture degree that leads to National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) certification and state licensure. Requirements for becoming a licensed architect vary per state, therefore persons seeking these credentials to practice architecture should verify all requirements in their jurisdiction. NCARB establishes the standards, processes, education requirements, internship (AXP), and testing (the A.R.E.) for certification. Please review all guidelines and procedures at the NCARB Website: https://www.ncarb.org/ All comparative A.R.E 5.0 pass rates per state and institution can also be found here: https://www.ncarb.org/pass-the-are/pass-rates/are5-pass-rates-school , where interested parties can search via state and university name. SIUC School of Architecture pass rates are listed here (search tag: Illinois/Southern Illinois university Carbondale).
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY CARBONDALE OFFERS THE FOLLOWING NAAB-ACCREDITED DEGREE PROGRAM(S):
- Master of Architecture (pre-professional degree in architecture + 42 credits required)
- Master of Architecture (CIDA-accredited degree in interior design + 63 credits required)
- Master of Architecture (non-pre-professional degree + 109 credits required)
Visit the NAAB to read our current accreditation report. A PDF of the current Architecture Program Report for 2020 NAAB Visit for Continuing Accreditation is also available. You can read the NAAB Visiting Team Report Decision Letter (PDF). The National Architectural Accrediting Board publishes two documents related to accreditation. You may view the PDF of each document here:
- 2009 Conditions FINAL EDITION– the conditions for accreditation.
- 2012 NAAB Procedures Final for Publication 080712– the procedures for accreditation.
VIEW SIU'S ANNUAL REPORTS SUBMITTED TO THE NAAB:
- NAAB ARS part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2019
- NAAB ARS part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2018
- NAAB ARS part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2017
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2016
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2015
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2014
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2013
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2012
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2011
- Southern Illinois 2011 Response
- 2010 Annual Report to NAAB FINAL+ NAAB Annual Report Narrative Part II 2010
- SIUC Response to NAAB 041510
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2009
- SIUC VTR [Final draft] NAAB(2008 Visiting Team Report)