Laura M. Morthland
Associate Professor and Interior Design Program Director
131E Quigley Hall
AT SIU SINCE 2006
- Collaborative & Interdisciplinary Pedagogy, Creative Learning, Ethnography in Design
RECENT SPECIAL PROJECTS
- 2016 Carbondale, Illinois - SIUC Greenfund Grant: Lactation Room Design/Build
- Master of Interior Architecture, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, 2003
- Bachelor of Science in Interior Design, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, 2000
- ARC/ID 251 Design I: Concept
- ARC/ID 252 Design II: Order
- ID 331 History of Interior Design
- ID 341 Interior Textiles & Finish Materials
- ID 392 Design IV: Complexity
- ID 432 Interior Design Seminar
- ID 491 Design V: Corporate
Morthland, L.M., Schwartz, C., and Barnett, D. (2016, October). Lactation accommodation at SIU. Abstract presented at the 2016 Applied Science and Arts [ASA] Multidisciplinary Research Symposium, Carbondale, IL.
Cho, S., Kidd, L.K., Morthland, L.M. and Adkinson, S. (2015, November). Developing soft skills through multidisciplinary cooperative and situated learning. Paper of distinction Pedagogy Track. Paper presented at the 2015 International Textiles and Apparel Association Conference, Santa Fe, NM.
Schwartz, C., Morthland, L.M., & McDonald, S.S. (July, 2014). Building a social framework: Utilizing design/build to provide social learning experiences for architecture students. Architectural Theory Review, 19(1), 76-91.
Morthland, L.M. and McPeek, K.T. (2012, July). Blurring the line: An experiment in interdisciplinary design education. Virtual presentation at the 2012 International Conference, The Future of Education, 2nd Edition, Florence, Italy.