In the United States, most state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted a 6-year, 3-year, or 2-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may consist of a pre-professional undergraduate degree and a professional graduate degree that, when earned sequentially, constitute an accredited professional education. However, the pre-professional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
Southern Illinois University School of Architecture offers the following NAAB-accredited degree program(s)
- Master of Architecture, 42 credits + pre-professional degree in architecture
- Master of Architecture, 70 credits + CIDA-accredited degree in interior design
- Master of Architecture, 109 credits + four-year degree in another area of study
Visit the NAAB to read our current accreditation report. A PDF of the current SIUC VTR [Final draft] NAAB (Visting Team Report) is also available. The National Architectural Accrediting Board publishes two documents related to accreditation. You may view the PDF of each document here:
- 2009 Conditions FINAL EDITION – the conditions for accreditation.
- 2012 NAAB Procedures Final for Publication 080712 – the procedures for accreditation.
View SIU's annual reports submitted to the NAAB:
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2016
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2015
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2014
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2013
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2012
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2011
- Southern Illinois 2011 Response
- 2010 Annual Report to NAAB FINAL + NAAB Annual Report Narrative Part II 2010
- SIUC Response to NAAB 041510
- NAAB ARS Part 1 - Southern Illinois University 2009